November 5, 2018
We attend over 30 domestic break-ins per year in the Newcastle upon Tyne area. I have compiled a list of 5 easy steps to prevent your home from being broken into. If you would like to discuss any of the methods further or would like any more FREE advice please call 0191 9086053
1. Don’t showboat! – Burglars are normally opportunists, If they see a window or door open or high value items on display they might seize the moment.
Our advice – Close the blinds. Make sure you close windows and doors and don’t leave laptops, mobile phones or other high ticket items on display.
2. Social media
We all love to show off our holiday pics on Facebook, twitter or other social media outlets while everybody else is enjoying the miserable British weather but criminals use social media to ensure nobodies home.
Our advice – Don’t do it. When you post your pictures make sure its after your holiday and everybody knows it on your post.
3. Visual deterrents
If potential criminals see your home is secure and a neighbour’s isn’t, the chances are they we miss out your home all together.
Our advice – There are a number of visual deterrents including : CCTV, Alarms, Signage to show that you have a security feature in place or security grills and fencing.
4. Secure it
If you have took all measures to deter criminals but they still want to have a go..
Our Advice – Secure it correctly:
- Upgrade to laminated glass (takes more force and noise to break)
- Upgrade your door locks ( Anti-snap, drill and pick)
- Upgrade door handles ( Anti-snap and key hole cover)
- Upgrade letter box cage
- Install window sash jammers or restrictors to prevent the window being opened from the outside